The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were launched in 2015 as goals for 2030.
Some progress is undeniable but half of the SDG targets are moderately and severely off track and 30% of the targets show no progress or even regression from 2015.
The UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres concluded the SDG Summit on 19 September 2023 urging World Leaders to “invest in development like never before”.
In the webinar “The Role of Voluntary Carbon Markets in Advancing the Sustainable Development Goals”, we discussed the important role that the voluntary carbon market can play to strengthen the implementation of these goals.
We’ve outlined the critical points that were discussed:
- Building strong community engagement and support is absolutely vital for the success of carbon projects.
- Customizing project activities to match the unique needs of each project and community is crucial.
- Nature-based projects that depend on the community to be successful, need to tend to the underlying causes of the deforestation and strive to create alternative and sustainable income sources for the communities involved.
- It’s essential to integrate co-benefits into the project’s core design, making them an integral part of the plan from the very beginning, rather than an afterthought.
- Remember, co-benefits often play a pivotal role in determining a project’s success, and they shouldn’t be treated as mere add-ons.
We unveiled the incredible potential of the Viridios AI platform for project developers.
It’s a game-changer, empowering them to perform pricing scenario analysis and quantify the value of different attributes within carbon projects, such as standards and SDGs.
And that’s not all! We also introduced our latest feature on VAI, the Carbon Project Comparator.
Now, VAI users can easily compare multiple projects across a diverse set of criteria, including SDGs, CCB certification, prices, ratings, issuances, retirements, and instrument eligibility. It’s a tool designed to supercharge your project evaluation process!
The recording of the webinar is available here:
About the author:
Bertrand Le Nézet is co-founder and Chief Market Intelligence Officer at Viridios AI. Bertrand has 15 years experience in financial markets, within major financial institutions in Europe and Asia, and as an independent portfolio manager. His expertise is anchored in a unique cross-section of quantitative finance and technology, for the fixed income, commodities, equities, and natural capital asset classes. He has a masters degree in Computer Science and a Certificate of Quantitative Finance (CQF).